Sunday, October 16, 2016

EDITING

This subject hovers over a writer with predestination in its wings.

The first book I published, The Battle of Chibi in 2010 occupied me through six proof versions. Eventually, I learned the value of editors and proofreaders. But "indie writers" all deal with questions about cost and struggle with cost-effectiveness. This is sobering when one considers that the recommended practice is a minimum of four edits and two proofreadings.

Here is a strategy to reduce that cost.

First of all, one should learn as much as one can about the capabilities of one's word processing software. I am not a Scrivener user, and so have tried to learn what MS Word can do. There is much to absorb and a search for "word tips" will lead to several helpful sites. Word itself has a Review
menu that should be your first resort - especially the Spelling and Grammar Check. After one goes through all the items this function points out, there is a summary of word count, passive verbs, long sentences, and grade level readability.

The second self-help program is Grammarly. This strikes me as a bit of a "scold" but I am aware that

the hectoring is well deserved. If you opt for the free version, it will work with your browser and comment on all emails and anything you post online. To have it assist your word processing, you'll need to purchase the version that works with MS Office. Perhaps there is one that will work with other word processing options. At any rate, here is a link to some reviews of Grammarly.

The third thing to do is run your writing through Pro Writing Aid. Do visit this link or at least check out the following screenshot.

I have sent four chapters of a current project through this amazing site. Each experience leaves me feeling that I have been spanked. Perhaps you will also. Just suck it up and consider this character-building, as well as hugely beneficial to your writing.




1 comment:

  1. Such great advice and guidance Hock. I am going about editing with these tools. Each is finding things I'd never catch with my naked eye, and it's helping to improve my writing during the initial creative process. I appreciate the part about Word (which I am using alternately with Google Docs) because I was not aware of it. I'll add that too too! Thank you much!

    ReplyDelete

Our Story

This review first appeared in Goodreads ,  https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2491467631 Rao Pingru wrote this charming "graphic nov...